Work and Holiday Visas - Subclass 417 and 462

Working Holiday visa (417)

This visa is for young people under 31 years of age from designated countries having a reciprocal agreement with Australia. This visa allows those people to come to Australia and travel and work for up to 18 months. They may only work for any one employer for a maximum of six months while holding this visa. It is possible to extend this visa for a further 12 months, by living and working in a regional area of Australia for a minimum period of three months.

Work and Holiday visa (462)

This 12-month visa applies to a different group of countries than the 417 visa and offers the chance of two extensions of 12 months, by meeting certain work conditions.

Our Service

The Dyson and Associates Team has assisted and continue to help, many holders of Working Holiday visas during their stay in Australia. Some of them seek assistance in gaining Employer-sponsored working visas and some going further to apply for full permanent residence under a skilled migration visa subclass. The work experience gained in Australia can be of considerable assistance in this regard. Also important is selecting the state or territory where you undertake your work experience as this may encourage a State or Territory nomination for your residence in Australia.

We will be pleased to examine your particular needs and interests. We offer the same high level of service to you that we have provided to our many previous clients.

If you do have an interest in any of these two working holiday visas, or would like more information, please register your interest below. We will get back to you.

Your contact details

Frequently asked questions

What is the consultation fee?

$110. This fee will be credited back towards our agency fee if you wish to proceed with us for your visa application. You need to pay the consultation fee before the appointment date and time.

How long does it take to get a booking confirmation?

On average it may take between 3 hours to 24 hours to get a booking confirmation on weekdays.

Any request received on weekends and public holidays will be confirmed on the next business day.

Am I going to get advice from a registered migration agent?

Yes. All our migration agents advisors are registered with OMARA - Australia's Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority and abide by the migration agents' code of conduct.

How can I get a status update on my application process?

Your case officer will keep you informed of any progress on your visa application through emails and phone calls.

Note: The Visa Office will not respond to requests for a status update. They will only contact us if they require more information, such as medical checks and police checks. Otherwise, we need to wait until we hear anything back from the Visa Office.

If you would like to discuss an urgent matter with your case officer then, please click here and fill in the primary applicant's contact details and your case officer will get in touch with you shortly.